9.16.2009

What Shoes are You Wearing?

I like shoes. I have major foot problems.

Now that you know those two things about me I'm sure your wondering where this is going.

There is a lot that is happening in my life right now. A death in the family, my wife about to give birth, my son turns two, I have to decide whether or not to fly to Oregon on short notice. Add to that all of the things that are happening at church this week and it makes for a lot.

To top it off, because of my flat feet I am starting to do ligament and nerve damage in my left foot. That equals pain and numbness almost nonstop.

Sounds like I'm complaining huh? Maybe I am am but I'm really trying to set you up.

Part of my therapy for my foot has to do with my shoes. I had just recently bought an awesome pair of grey canvas Chuck Taylor's. They were cool. They looked great with jeans, slacks, shorts, you name it. When I went to the doctor he told me I needed different shoes.

Ugg... I just bought these! They're cool... you need new ones.

So I went shopping after a few days. See I thought I could hang onto them and I would be ok. The more I wore them the worse the pain got.

I bought new shoes. I followed the doctors' directions and got a pair of running shoes. They're Pumas (so that makes me a real worship leader now!). But they fit all the requirements and they make my feet feel better.

They aren't as cool and I can't wear them with a suit.

Then this happened.

What shoes are you wearing? from Aaron Floyd on Vimeo.

Now Micah can run and crawl, and he loves to jump. But he can barely walk when he is wearing his daddy's shoes.

And then it hit me... I've been trying to wear God's shoes.

I have all of these things going on and I've been trying to be in control. God gave me the ability to run and jump and I am barely walking because I have shoes on that aren't mine.

I have had to take them off. It's been hard. But I've felt free again the last few days. I know that I have a lot going on but i don't need to control it. God has it, and his shoes are bigger than mine.

So who's shoes are you wearing? Are they yours? Are they God's?

If you find yourself barely making it, I would suggest you look at your shoes.

No comments: