1.06.2010

What's It Gonna Be?

The new year is here. I've always like the New Years holiday. Don't get me wrong, Christmas is awesome. I love Christmas, but New Years always just had something a little different about it.

I learned to play Trivial Pursuit at New Years Eve parties my church growing up would have every year. I was, of course, not old enough to actually play but I did hold the title of "Official Question And Answer Reader." In fact, most of the crazy and useless things that are stuck in my head come directly from the 1980's Genus Edition of Trivial Pursuit. Not the game about the 80s but the game that was released in the 80s!

Before Janaye and I were married we went to one of these parties together. We were a very spiritual group so instead of playing games, counting down the ball drop and yelling our heads of at midnight about 11:45 everyone would gather in the sanctuary (I don't think the term "worship center" had been invented yet) and we would sing and pray in the new year. Now this isn't a bad idea... I kind of like it. But it was at this party that I really felt like God was giving me the go ahead to spend my life with Janaye.

The next new years we were in Los Angeles with a group of people from Chi Alpha attending a conference. I had spent an agonizing two hours with Janaye's dad two weeks before getting his blessing to ask his daughter to marry me. I had the ring in pocket and every chance I got I would pull it out and look at it. The plan was to find a spot around midnight on New Years Eve and ask the big question, but after trucking the ring across four states I just couldn't wait. So she got asked a few days earlier than planned. She said yes!

We used to do a Comedy Show on New Years Eve. They were a lot of fun. But I can tell you that they were more work than anyone will ever know. I really enjoyed the improv and getting to meet and spend time with the talented people we brought in to help out. It was a good time. But after everyone left to go to another party or go home to bed we would hang around and spend another hour or two tearing down the setup. I would get home sometime close to midnight and just collapse into my bed.

The last few years we've spent New Years Eve with people from our small group! We play poker, or we watch movies, but we always cook (this year it was tri-tip roast slowly grilled with homemade coleslaw and mac and cheese!).

For whatever reason many good things have happened to me around the turning of the year.

I would encourage you to find something good as this year turns. Maybe you need to join a community group. Maybe you need to develop a daily Bible reading habit (This is my recommend). Maybe you need to find someone who can hold you accountable for your stuff.

Whatever it is, instead of making a resolution, make a change. Dive after it. Chase it hard. Don't give up.

What's it gonna be?

No comments: