7.16.2009

Teach Me Lord, Teach Me Lord, To Wait

It's the middle of summer. I know it hasn't been very hot yet, but it's the middle. School starts in a little more than a month (I know, I know), and I haven't had a vacation yet, (can it be summer without a vacation?). It's not even the dog days of summer. And I still feel like I'm just tired out.

Maybe it's because I played/worked so hard at the beginning of summer, I don't know.

Does anyone else feel that way?

It's in these moments that I think it's really important to remember God. We look to God when things are bad, we always get reminded not to forget God when things are good, but how often do we remember God when things just are?

Read Isaiah 40.

Did you read it?

Be honest now.

What an amazing picture of who God is. I don't know how you could read that and not feel a sense of awe and wonder. But here's the thing that gets me.

At the end, after this majestic portrait that's laid out this is what Isaiah says...

"He gives power to the faint, and to him who has no might he increases strength. Even youths shall faint and be weary, and young men shall feel exhausted; but they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and be weary; they shall walk and not faint." Isaiah 40:29-31 (ESV)

What we need is for God to teach us to wait. Maybe that's where you are, I think that's where I am. I am learning to wait. And when the time is right I will be able to run and soar and the glory will go to God in that moment because it will come out of my exhaustion and weariness.

If that's you, let's wait together. Don't quit. Even though you're out of energy. Don't give up.

Ask God to teach you to wait. And then do it.

At some point His strength will come, and then watch out!







(Bonus points if you know the song the title comes from!)

No comments: